Thursday 15 November 2018

American New Wave Video Essay Evaluation

Once I gathered all of my contextual research on the American new wave, I decided to create a video essay about three of the most famous new wave films "Bonnie and Clyde", "Taxi Driver" and "Easy Rider" and how the new wave changed over time being less afraid to show taboo subjects on screen such as, death, mental illness, drugs, alcohol, and sex.

Originally I wanted to do a voice over myself talking about all my contextual research, how the new wave started and why these films were so important. However, I couldn't build up enough courage to do so as I knew I would stutter or ramble on. So instead I used a text to speech bot and recorded the audio from that and used it for my voice over. As is it was to use, some of the pronunciation of words were incorrect, some pauses were too long or not long enough between words and the overall voice was a bit too robotic/monotone.

During editing, someone of the sound was too quiet in certain areas and too loud in others, I feel as I could have spent more time carefully using automation or compression to get the levels just right. However, the overall on-screen editing I feel went well. It wasn't jolty and what was on screen helps the viewer to understand what the text to speech bot is saying, as well as giving visual evidence to back up my contextual studies.

I feel like the structure of my video essay pieced together smoothly as it talked about what a new wave is, why it started and then went on to speak about my three chosen texts. To improve my overall video essay I feel as I could have added a conclusion as the end to help summerise the entirety of my video essay to help keep any watching it up to date and on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Evaluation

Video evaluation on editing